Can I enroll my child in/request reassignment to a school they are not assigned to?

In Howard County, students attend the school in their school attendance area based on their family’s bona fide residence. Student Reassignment is the process by which a parent/guardian can request enrollment at a school that is not located in the designated school attendance area for their bona fide residence.

Board of Education Policy 9000 Student Residency, Eligibility, Enrollment and Assignment should be reviewed for information on approved categories of student reassignment.

Student Reassignment Requests will be accepted after July 1st for the upcoming school year. Please allow 2–4 weeks for processing.

Reasons for student reassignment requests include new home purchase, relocation, employees of HCPSS, and other exceptions based on documented, unique hardship situations.

Information on student reassignment can be found on the HCPSS website.