MSDE and local community school programs are required to follow identified community school best practices that include:
- provision of a community school coordinator at each community school;
- completion of needs assessment at the community school site that informs the needed wraparound services;
- implementation of family and community engagement activities, including opportunities for adults and family members of students who live in the neighborhood of the school;
- expansion and enrichment of learning opportunities both in-school and after school, during weekends, and in the summer;
- provision of education, support, and resources that empower parents, students, teachers, principals, and community partners; and,
- provision of support for parent teacher organizations or school family councils and a community school leadership team.