How can I register and enroll my child to attend a Howard County public school?

Welcome to HCPSS! Information on enrollment can be found on the HCPSS website.

New Students

Students who have never attended a HCPSS school must be registered by their custodial parent (biological, adoptive, legal guardian).

New Kindergarten Students

Children must be 5 years old by September 1 in order to enroll in kindergarten. Every child who is 5 years old by September 1 must be enrolled in a kindergarten program this fall or have an approved waiver.
More information about registering a kindergarten student.

New Prekindergarten Students

HCPSS offers a half-day prekindergarten program. Students must be four years old by September 1 to be considered for enrollment. Unlike enrollment for K-12, parents must apply for admission to prekindergarten. Learn more.

Seeking Early Admission?

Find out more and see if your child qualifies.

Current Students

For current HCPSS enrolled students moving between schools within the system:

  • Moving over the summer? Find and contact your child’s upcoming school to begin the transfer process. 
  • Moving during the school year? Complete a Change of Address Form and then contact your child’s current school to assist you with the transfer process.

Current HCPSS prekindergarten students do not need to be re-registered for kindergarten because they are already enrolled as an HCPSS student.