There are different social distancing procedures in place depending on the location in and around the building.
Social Distancing Entering and Exiting the Building
- Students should come off the bus in a line, 6 feet apart.
- Students should line up outside 6 feet apart (consider placing tape or chalk marks on the sidewalk to help students line-up).
- No parents or guardians should be allowed near the front of the school. Parents should stay in their cars or more than 6 feet away from all students and staff when dropping off students.
- Parents and visitors are limited in their entry unless essential.
- School staff will maintain a log of any parent/visitor that enters the building.
- Anyone entering the school must wear a facial covering.
Social Distancing Within the Building
- Student desks/tables/learning spaces must be placed six feet apart.
- Masks must be worn throughout the day.
- Halls may be marked one way, if helpful.
- Students should try to maintain social distance when passing in hallways.
- Furniture may be moved to create barriers and encourage social distancing.
- Students should not be sent to the same bathroom at the same time. While two students may be in a bathroom at the same time, one child is ideal.
- A school-specific plan should be designed to maintain social distancing and avoid co-mingling of students and staff throughout the school and grounds. Details should include how learning spaces, cafeteria, bathrooms, gymnasiums, staff workrooms, conference rooms etc. will be re-configured and what steps were taken to encourage and enforce social distancing (e.g. signage, floor marking, monitoring, etc.)
Social Distancing Outside the Building
- A frequent movement break plan should be in place which includes planning for recess at the appropriate grade levels.
- Students should wear a face covering during recess/time outside.
- Consider assigning a jump rope and playground ball to each student, labeled with their name.
- Students should have recess/outside break time in full-day programs when weather allows.
- A specific recess plan should be created to encourage children to be 6 feet apart.
- Playground use is restricted to one cohort at a time with children and staff maintaining 6 feet apart and limiting shared use of items when possible.
- Students should wash hands or use sanitizer before going out to recess and after returning to the classroom.